Well I finished the Bethouia top from El Pulls. I used a turquoise french terry knit from Joanns Fabric.
No changes made, sewed a straight size 48.
Maybe not the best shape for my body type, it’s big and loose and therefore not very flattering.
The pattern pages, tons of paper. The sleeve is plotted in such a way that it wastes gobs of paper.
Overall a decent pattern, I think it would be better on me in a thinner fabric, like a rayon jersey.
Up next a sweater knit jersey dress. Here’s a sneak peak.
So I am trying to work some of my current me-made garments into a fall-winter wardrobe. I made this suduko to create several mix and match outfits (btw- these are all rtw garments, they are just visual representatives of the items I want to make or have made). I got this idea from the lovely blog Free Notion
. I have been reading through her posts on planning a capsule wardrobe. This suduko is my result. I have made the Liola Natalie
, the self drafted gingham top
, the NL 6030
as well as the NL 6395
. I a currently working on the Bethouia. Up next, jeans! I’ve got three pairs in that plan. The skinny Jaime Jeans
, the Birkin Flares
and a self drafted boyfriend jean. Whew, thats a lot of jean sewing! Wish me luck.
The shoes, sweaters and accessories are items I already own, I used what I have to make this work. I don’t feel up to making my own sweaters just yet, and handmade shoes, well maybe someday. I like the concept! I know others have learned to make their own shoes, its something to consider 🙂
I have managed to finish my holiday top, just after the holidays, lol!
I started it just before Christmas but the hustle and bustle left no time for sewing. Nevertheless, I am happy to have finished it. I know I will wear this simple breezy top often, so I’m not too upset I missed my holiday deadline.
So the pattern is NL 6395 with some alterations-
- Lower the front yoke 2.5 inches, and conversely raised the lower bodice 2.5 inches. I wanted a deeper yoke to showcase this great lace
- I cut a size 14 for the yoke and sleeves but I cut a size 22 for the lower bodice, I wanted lots more gathers! I ended up taking it in about an inch at the waist, curving the side seams a bit
- I cut a yoke in the back to match the front, and made the lower back fuller, to match the front
- I cut 5 inches off the sleeves to make 3/4 sleeves
- I used FOE to finish the neck and yoke opening, cutting off the SA and omitting the facing
- I sewed two ribbons to tie the blouse in front instead of a button
The fabrics used were a black, one-way stretch lace from Joann’s Fabrics and a cotton/rayon crinkle gauze from Factory Fabrics in Portland. The fabric is pretty sheer so I will need to wear a cami underneath it, unlike y poor dress form you can see her bra. Don’t worry I won’t be so scandalous, Ha!
I stay stiched the lace to keep it from stretching as the cotton/rayon was a woven. I didn’t have any problems combing a knit and a woven in this top.
Overall I am pleased with my finished garment, I can’t wait to wear it.
Happy New Year!
I just finished this great top. It’s the Natalie top by Liola patterns. I purchased it at Indisew.com. The fabric is rayon challis from Fashion Fabrics Club. I sewed a straight size large with no alterations. Fits great and I’ve worn it several times already. This was a really simple make. I am really pleased with it!
I’m really loving Indie sew these days, so many great patterns and inspiration on Instagram and their blog. I just purchased the Bethouia top from the winter collection and its next on the cutting floor. I m using a fabric that is very similar to the sample shown. Its a french terry in pale turquoise from Joann’s fabric. They seem to be getting better fabric lately! I have found several decent pieces in recent weeks there, so thanks Joanns for getting better garment fabrics!!
I finished my denim skirt. It came out well and I like it. It’s been worn several times. A great new staple basic for me.
Pattern planning in from this post.
While I wait for my fabric to make this dress and for my pattern to make this skirt, I started a By Hand London Anna dress.
First I looked at the sizing and decided to make the size 16 US to accommodate my 42.5″ bust measurement. Well, it fit great in the front bust and waist, and terrible everywhere else, I had 3″ of neck gapage and needed to take in about 3″ at the center back.
So I started hunting around the web and found out others had this problem as well. Enter the awesome and super helpful post Anna Dress FBA how to, on the blog Another Little Crafty Creation. Well I followed her instructions and I ended up using the size 10 US as my base size and adding a 3.5″ FBA. It isn’t pretty but its looking much more promising. I plan to make another muslin using my newly drafted pattern tonight. I will post updates when its done.