Valentine’s Set

20150227_113934

This is the first item in my sewing plan. I made this set for Valentine’s day.  Just getting around to posting it now. I am very happy with the finished result. I used this pattern that I drafted I 2013. I used a knit fabric this time and I like the fit better, I also added a 1/2″ band to the bottom of the bralette and I find that it fits better with that addition. For some variety I drafted in some lace panels on the bottoms and a center lace panel on the top.  I like this style change. I have fabric for another set and am looking forward to more pattern manipulations for another variation. I also sewed in thin padded cup lining in the bralet, they were the kind marketed for swimsuit cups, I had to trim them down to fit into my pattern.  They are zig zagged to the inner lining.  They provide a degree of shaping and some support. for a good tutorial on how to do this look here.  Although I did not use her pattern the technique I used was very similar.  If you are looking for more lingerie sewing helps check out this pinterest board of mine for lots of great sites and even some free patterns from around the web.

I got this wonderful fabric from Girl Charlee Fabrics, which I recommend, for both the high quality of their knit fabrics and really decent prices, as well as super fast shipping. Woo Hoo, love a good experience like that.  All elastics came from Sew Sassy Fabrics, another great resource for sewing lingerie.  The red stretch lace came from my stash.

The Colleterie has a new online magazine called Seamwork which featured several articles about sewing lingerie this month.  There are also some lingerie sewing articles and resources on the blog, including an article on sewing adjustable bra straps.

20150227_113959 20150227_113913

Dress Plan- Contest!

Dress Plan

 

So I am taking a break from the purple blouse to make some dresses for a contest at pattern review. The contest is one pattern many looks.  I plan to make four dresses. I am almost done with the green daisy one.  It’s not exactly like the modcloth dress, its definitely inspired by it though. I am using the vintage pattern shown in the photo above, it is Mcalls 8249, from the 1950’s.

2014 One Pattern, Many Looks Contest

African Violet

African Violet
Up next in the sewing room.  A self- drafted tunic top. Using rayon in a deep purple color.   The blouse will be collarless, with a neckband instead, loose fitting and long, with a three quarter sleeve and curved hem.  This  is a transitional piece for summer/fall.
So far the front and back are drafted and cut, had to fiddle with the neckband and front placket a bit.  Next up drafting sleeves.  Still working on how to get a good sleeve, thought I might try this technique.  Looks like it will be a good method for getting the right fit. Also, this video for the actual drafting.

Little White Dress

Little White Dress
Thought I might join the Little White Dress Contest over at pattern review.  Here’s my inspiration board.
As a challenge to myself and to save money I am going to use as many stash fabrics as I can this year and sew with free patterns online.  I want so show that sewing doesn’t have to be expensive and showcase some of the awesome patterns that are available for free on the internet.

2014 Little White Dress (Jan 16 - Feb 15)

Mens Peacoat

I am currently working on a mens pea coat for my son.  I was inspired by this great blog.

I have been doing lots of research because I want to use tailoring techniques in the coat.  This will be a first for me. I have never tailored a coat before.  It shaping up to be a big project.  So far I have gathered my materials and made a first muslin.  I will be using this pattern It’s from this book.  It’s really just for the pattern as all the instructions are in Japanese. Beautiful coats though!!

I will be using this book to help me with the tailoring.

Here’s a list of my supplies.

  • 3 yards Bemberg Ambiance lining Joanns ( available online at fashion fabrics club)
  • 1 yard hair canvas-available here  (great tailoring resource!)
  • 1 yard wigan (see hair canvas link  for source)
  • 1 yard Burberry plaid twill  (for the lining upper back and pockets)

I was able to source some of my supplies locally but I wanted to included online sources here for any readers who might not live near good sewing stores.  Where I live it’s mostly just Joann’s fabrics which is not the best- but they did have the bemberg, and the wool felt for the undercollar as well as threads needles, wax etc.  I also have a small local independent shop that had hair canvas and shoulder pads as well as silk organza (for the pocket welt facing).

Some online resources for coat sewing