This is my newest creation a gorgeous wrap dress in cornflower blue jersey. I was a pattern tester for the curvy version of the Diana Wrap Dress from Wardrobe By Me. I am so pleased with how it came out. I made no changes to the pattern, this is a straight size 16. Pretty great fit, don’t you think! I used a cotton/poly jersey with 4 way stretch. The original pattern came in size 0-16 and the new curvy version comes in 14-24.
Conclusion, this is a great pattern!! I’ve already got several other versions planned. If you would like the pattern, it’s on sale this week at Wardrobe By Me,using this codeRMD2AL27L8JZ, thank you to Christina!
This post is overdue, but I completed my spring wardrobe. I made 4 tops, 3 skirts a dress, jeans and a cardigan. The wardrobe is mix and match, so it’s very versatile.
My Breton top with a knit pencil skirt.
Top- Simplicity 8054
Skirt- Simplicity 1072
A denim skirt with lace top.
Top- Gertie’s Portrait Neck Blouse
Skirt – New Look 6030
Self drafted blue dolman with self drafted jeans.
A silk tank and floral skirt.
Tank- Cali Faye
Skirt – Itch to Stitch
Cardigan and dress.
Cardigan- Swoon Patterns
With these 10 pieces I can create something like 34 outfits. I am pleased with how these came out and excited that it is warm enough to wear them now! I entered these pieces in the wardrobe contest on pattern review. I didn’t win but I feel like a winner since I have this lovely new wardrobe! Thanks for stopping by to read about my sewing adventures.
So my first outfit is done from my spring wardrobe. I’m feeling pretty accomplished, its so nice to finish these garments and they fit and flatter me. So Win!
The top is Simplicity 8054 that I added a yoke to. The yoke is made from separate pieces of white jersey.
Fabric from PurpleSeamstress on Facebook- cotton jersey, check her out she has great deals!!
Hemmed with double needle and wooly nylon in the bobbin, gives a nice stretchy hem that looks good!
finished on my new serger! (yay, I just love how professional that makes my garments feel!)
Lengthened the pattern by 3″ but cut some away
These are version 1.0, I plan to make more, still tweaking the fit
I used several pairs of RTW jeans I had as reference to draft these and my measurements
Drafting is hard!!
They are a little too large in the waist, I will take the next pair in at center back and side seams and cut a smaller waistband and possibly taper the legs a bit
Denim stretches a lot when its worn, something one must account for when drafting
This is 11 oz. non-stretch denim from Joann’s Fabric
I used Coats and Clark denim topstitching thread and a Top stitch needle size 16, and I broke two! It hard to sew through multi layers of thick denim!
I used regular polyester thread in my bobbin
They have rivets and a self designed leather patch on the back for authenticity
I hope to develop this into a multi-size pattern and to digitize it, an eventually make it available for sale!
I will be entering this in the Pattern Review Wardrobe Contest as well as several other items. You can check that out here. My entry is not up yet as I am still sewing my garments, but it will be up by the end of the month when the contest ends. I have sewn 4 tops 1 bottom and 1 dress so far. That leaves 4 more items to make. Its going to be a sew-a-thon to get it one next week!
I’ve got lots more spring sewing planned, you can check out my planning board here on Pinterest. Thanks for stopping by and have a blessed day. Hope you are sewing fun things too!
This is my planing board for #wardrobeinaweek. This is the brainchild of Becca Duvale from Free Notion. You can read more about it here. The idea is to choose several quick and easy pieces that can mix and match and sew them up in just a week. I doubt I will finish in a week but I plan to work as quickly as I can. It will probably be about two weeks for me. Its a good way to get a little push to complete your sewing projects and to make sure that they go together, giving you maximum options for getting dressed each day. I have already cut out all the tops and finished sewing two of them. The denim skirt is from my winter wardrobe and will carry over nicely. I’m off to cut cardigans and sew them up!
So I finished my dress and got a chance to wear it yesterday. I am pleased with it but may tweak it a little before I consider it done. I had fun sewing this on my new serger. Woah, I should have bought one years ago, what a huge time saver. It makes sewing knits soo much easier. I only used my regular machine for the hems and the basted gathering stitches.
The pattern is M 9116 which is a reissue of Butterick 5870. Here’s a shot of the pattern envelope
I made view A.
Sewed a size 12 with a FBA.
I lengthen the front and back bodice by 1″, I think I may serge this off as the waistline seems a little low on me.
I used the straight hem skirt from view B, omitting the high low of view A
Sewed the hems using a twin needle and wooly nylon in the bobbin which helps keep them stretchy.
I love it. If I make it again I might raise the neckline, it’s a little low.