So my first outfit is done from my spring wardrobe. I’m feeling pretty accomplished, its so nice to finish these garments and they fit and flatter me. So Win!
The top is Simplicity 8054 that I added a yoke to. The yoke is made from separate pieces of white jersey.
- Fabric from PurpleSeamstress on Facebook- cotton jersey, check her out she has great deals!!
- Hemmed with double needle and wooly nylon in the bobbin, gives a nice stretchy hem that looks good!
- finished on my new serger! (yay, I just love how professional that makes my garments feel!)
- Lengthened the pattern by 3″ but cut some away
- These are version 1.0, I plan to make more, still tweaking the fit
- I used several pairs of RTW jeans I had as reference to draft these and my measurements
- Drafting is hard!!
- They are a little too large in the waist, I will take the next pair in at center back and side seams and cut a smaller waistband and possibly taper the legs a bit
- Denim stretches a lot when its worn, something one must account for when drafting
- This is 11 oz. non-stretch denim from Joann’s Fabric
- I used Coats and Clark denim topstitching thread and a Top stitch needle size 16, and I broke two! It hard to sew through multi layers of thick denim!
- I used regular polyester thread in my bobbin
- They have rivets and a self designed leather patch on the back for authenticity
- I hope to develop this into a multi-size pattern and to digitize it, an eventually make it available for sale!
I will be entering this in the Pattern Review Wardrobe Contest as well as several other items. You can check that out here. My entry is not up yet as I am still sewing my garments, but it will be up by the end of the month when the contest ends. I have sewn 4 tops 1 bottom and 1 dress so far. That leaves 4 more items to make. Its going to be a sew-a-thon to get it one next week!
I’ve got lots more spring sewing planned, you can check out my planning board here on Pinterest. Thanks for stopping by and have a blessed day. Hope you are sewing fun things too!