Finished Tops

Here are two tops that I finished last month.  They are part of my spring wardrobe inspiration board.  First up is M5388.    I made this top last year in a white gauze ( view D).

This time I made it in a knit and I made view B, size 10.  This pattern runs a bit large so I sized it down, I measure for the size 16.  It worked well in a knit, the only change I made was to shorten it a bit, about 4″.  I think I may have shortened it too much, I wish it were an inch longer.  I am contemplating adding a band at the bottom to do just that.  Note to self, next time you make this pattern only shorten it 3 inches.  For some visual interest I sewed machine embroidery on the yoke.  I did the embroidery before construction.neckline embroidery

Next up is a top from Burdastyle, it’s called the braided neckline tank.

It was a free download.  Hooray for free patterns, right?  I made some changes to this pattern as well.  It was drafted for a knit, but I used a woven.  The fabric is silk twill.  It’s a lovely fabric with a nice sheen and drape with a slightly crisp hand.  The main change I made was not to use a lining, instead I just used self fabric to make bias strips for the neckline and armholes.  Also I shortened it about 2 “.  I had to  piece the back because I ran short of fabric, I only had 1 yard.  Since I was piecing the back I decided to add a small design detail to make it go better with the front of the top, so I added some gathers in the center back below the seam.

I was a bit worried that the woven fabric wouldn’t braid as well as a knit, but I really had no problem with it.  Oh, I did cut the braiding straps a bit longer (about 52″)  as I knew I would need more length since there wouldn’t be any stretch to them.

neckline detail

I still ran a bit short and had to end them at the back armhole edge rather than overlapping on the neckline as the pattern called for, but it a small change that doesn’t really detract from the final top.  Altogether I am happy with this top, it’s very flattering and comfy.  I may add some lingerie strap holders on the straps as it is a bit slippery because of the silk and the neckline slips around as I move in it.

I am hard at work on the mini wardrobe sewing,  I have finished a skirt, half a top and am currently in the middle of making khaki cargo pants.  They will replace the original pants from the plan.  I need them more than the originally planned pair of capri pants right now,  perhaps I will make those at a later time.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Finished Tops

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s